Subject: Re: Mail list envelope sender address
To: (NetBSD/current-users Maillist) <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Robert Black <r.black@ic.ac.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 11/12/1996 11:22:22
On Nov 11, 12:05pm, "Erik E. Fair" (Time Keeper) wrote:
> Subject: Re: Mail list envelope sender address
>
> Qmail achieves its "low latency" goal by beating remote SMTP servers to
> death - i.e. it shifts the delivery burden there by opening up multiple
> SMTP connections to a given remote (one per recipient!), when it should not.

Well, actually, the way qmail achieves lower latency over sendmail is by
opening multiple connections to *different* hosts at the same time.
Unfortunately it can't handle multiple mails over the same connection so it
does tend to open multiple connections to the same host as an unfortunate
side-effect. If you want a mailer that will do parallel delivery of different
hosts *and* multiple mails over a single connection then exim (version 0.57 or
later) is worth taking a look at. I know of several people who are using it for
high mail bandwidth sites including Sunsite Northern Europe
(sunsite.doc.ic.ac.uk) who use it for ftpmail, and at least two sites using it
in conjunction with majordomo.

Cheers

Rob Black

PS Exim is also pretty friendly to configure.