Subject: Re: vmstat, iostat etc no longer work?
To: Greg Hudson <ghudson@mit.edu>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 11/12/1996 00:26:48
On Mon, 11 Nov 1996, Greg Hudson wrote:

> At least one core team member (mycroft) has expressed support for the
> idea that the kernel should always keep the symbol table in core...

Ouch! My Sun 3/50 would not like that in the slightest.

It's possible in some ports (such as the alpha) to get the name of
the loaded kernel. In others, such as the i386, it may be possible
for the boot loader to pass this on to the kernel. Why not have a
new sysctl variable, kern.filename or whatever, that contains the
filename that the kernel was loaded from? Then we just need to execute
the following in /etc/rc after /var is mounted:

	rm -f /var/run/kernel
	if [ -n "`sysctl kern.hostname`" ]; then
	    ln -s `sysctl kern.hostname` /var/run/kernel
	fi

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca		Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.