Subject: Re: Mail list envelope sender address
To: Jan-Hinrich Fessel <>
From: Curt Sampson <>
List: current-users
Date: 11/11/1996 22:24:45
  Send mail to for more info.

On Mon, 11 Nov 1996, Jan-Hinrich Fessel wrote:

> While we're at it, i really dislike the whole header-munging that takes place
> on the lists.
> What do we benifit from meaningless headers like these:

Well, they make it much, much easier to find out what's going wrong
when mail loops, or goes to the wrong place. Your mailer should
normally filter out the Received: headers on viewing, so that they
don't bother you. Their presence is vital to maintain and debug

Curt Sampson		Info at
Internet Portal Services, Inc.