Subject: Re: pppd as login shell
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@cue.bc.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 11/11/1996 22:21:18
On Nov 11,  2:03pm, Curt Sampson wrote:
} On Mon, 11 Nov 1996, John Nemeth wrote:
}
} > } useful. However, using Radius for shell account authentication gets
} > } a bit interesting, because there are a lot of other places in the
} > } system that rely on passwd file information.
} >
} >      I thought most of the RADIUS servers were capable of using the
} > system passwd file?
}
} They are. But there's no point in using Raidius for local authentication
} if it's just going to read the local passwd file anyway. The system
} already does that. I was talking about authenticating shell users
} from a remote user database, without having to have them in the
} local passwd file.

     Okay, point taken.  However, RADIUS also has hooks for account,
so it might be useful to get consistent accounting information.

}-- End of excerpt from Curt Sampson