Subject: Re: pppd as login shell
To: John Nemeth <jnemeth@cue.bc.ca>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 11/11/1996 14:03:40
On Mon, 11 Nov 1996, John Nemeth wrote:

> } You could take the cards out of your NetBlazer. :-) (After all,
> } all a NetBlazer is is a $5000 486. :-))
>
>      Yeah, but do you have NetBSD drivers for those cards?  Besides, a
> NetBlazer is much easier to maintain then a full blown UNIX system,
> and has an OS optimised for the job it does.

I was just kidding, actually.

> } useful. However, using Radius for shell account authentication gets
> } a bit interesting, because there are a lot of other places in the
> } system that rely on passwd file information.
>
>      I thought most of the RADIUS servers were capable of using the
> system passwd file?

They are. But there's no point in using Raidius for local authentication
if it's just going to read the local passwd file anyway. The system
already does that. I was talking about authenticating shell users
from a remote user database, without having to have them in the
local passwd file.

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca		Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.