Subject: Re: Mail list envelope sender address
To: None <david@mono.org>
From: Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org>
List: current-users
Date: 11/11/1996 12:05:50
You weren't the only one who got screwed by this change.

=46iltering on "Sender:" is not an envelope address thing.

It is perfectly reliable, provided that the mailing list administrator (and
the software s/he uses) is consistent (which NetBSD.ORG was, until Friday).

It would have been nice if there had been some notice of this change. Like
on the "netbsd-announce" list, two or three days prior.

Also, as an aside, qmail is a bad idea because has a brain-dead delivery
strategy, which we should not encourage. I can understand not running
sendmail (I run zmailer at my site), but if you're changing to qmail
because it claims to have "lower latency" delivery, then there's a fact you
should know:

Qmail achieves its "low latency" goal by beating remote SMTP servers to
death - i.e. it shifts the delivery burden there by opening up multiple
SMTP connections to a given remote (one per recipient!), when it should not.

I predict that sendmail's SMTP server (and probably some other mailers too)
will shortly be changed to allow only one connection from any given remote
host at a time, which will frustrate qmail's bogus delivery strategy, and
force qmail to use the same delivery strategy that sane SMTP clients have
used for years: one TCP/SMTP connection, and multiple "RCPT TO:" commands,
per letter.

If you *really* want to broadcast something, use netnews. It's very good at
doing that. (and please do not confuse "netnews" with "USENET" - one is
software, and the other is a particular network that uses the software; the
two are NOT synonymous).

	Erik Fair