Subject: Re: LKM support
To: None <dyson@freebsd.org>
From: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/10/1996 22:04:43
John S. Dyson wrote:

> > Why do major whacking on MFS? Seems to me it'd be much easier to just
> > write a new fs type from scratch rather than attempting to change code
> > built around totally different assumptions.
> >
> That would be essentially what it would be.  My initial set of simple

You: We're going to modify MFS.
Me: Why not start from scratch instead?
You: Good idea! We'll start from scratch by taking MFS and modifying
     it.

What, are you taking Clinton lessons in your spare time? :-)

No, that's not essentialy what it would be. "removal [of] much of the
UFS infrastructure" implies that you're starting with something. What
I'm suggetsing is that you start with *nothing* (ie, scratch, which is
what I said).  Start with a clean slate.  Zero, zilch, bubkis. I think,
as I said, that it'll be easier and produce better results to write a
ram filesystem by writing a ram filesystem, rather that trying to adapt
a disk filesystem.