Subject: pppd as login shell
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jon Buller <jonb@metronet.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/09/1996 23:13:00
Is there a way for pppd to be started as a login shell with a
local:remote address setting?  Right now I have a pair of logins
for my 2 non-internet machines on my internet gateway, that use
csh and have a .login file like:

     /usr/sbin/pppd server:client1
     logout

It seems better to me if I could just make pppd the login shell,
but I need client1 to change based on the login, eliminating (as
far as I know) /etc/ppp/options.  And putting x:y as a shell argument
in master.passwd has serious consequences...  I would rather have
the ppp server determine the addresses, since it runs a name server
as well, rather than have each client set it's address, and perhaps
get out of sync with the name server...

Any hints or favorite ways to do this, or have I figured out the
best way known?

Jon Buller