Subject: Re: bin/2905: setting environment vars from login
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/07/1996 18:15:45
In article <Pine.NEB.3.93.961106120311.14907M-100000@cynic.portal.ca>,
Curt Sampson  <cjs@portal.ca> wrote:
> At any rate, I don't think we have to go any further on this. I
> think it's pretty evident at this point that you're the only one
> that wants this feature, so we don't have to worry about multiple
> people rewriting it multiple times. And given that nobody's done
> the security analysis on even just the programs you claim need to
> be analysed, this patch couldn't go in anyway.

There have been several of us who've expressed an interest in the
LOGIN_ARGS variant of this idea, however. It's relatively easy to add a
bit of sh code to turn that into Greg's idea for interative logins if
you're dead set on the idea, or one can do more restrictive things with
it, or simply ignore it. And the ability to set the single variable
LOGIN_ARGS seems quite safe -- I feel fairly confident in saying that
nothing uses that particular variable for anything.

Actually, I seem to remember that older SysV did something like this,
except that it parsed the args and provided anything after the login
name as LOGIN1, LOGIN1, LOGIN3... environment variables (I forget the
exact name but that was the general idea).