Subject: Re: JDK on *BSD
To: Brad Spencer <brad@anduin.eldar.org>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@zen.quick.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 11/07/1996 10:00:54
> A quick and dirty JDK for NetBSD/i386 is to run the FreeBSD port.  I'v
> used it and it appears to act ok, except for the "display" program.

Thanks to everyone who gave me pointers.  A cute one I found via a
Japanese web site was:

netscape -java -classpath ~/java/lib/classes.zip sun.tools.javac.Main $*

sadly, when I ran that on zen, it looked like it was going to happily
consume all my swap space...

Good news is that http://web.soi.city.ac.uk/homes/tim/kaffe/kaffe.html
supports JIT on NetBSD, and runs java byte code about 10 times faster
than the JDK.  So I have a working javac now which is what I mainly
wanted.  Netscape works fine as an applet viewer.

I'll look into the FreeBSD port of the JDK too, esp if they've done
AWT.

Thanks again to all.

--sjg