Subject: Re: Crashes under 1.2
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: current-users
Date: 11/04/1996 16:59:43
On Mon, 4 Nov 1996 20:34:58 +0200 (EET)
 Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi> wrote:

 > toor@dns /var/crash # gdb -k netbsd.0 netbsd.0.core
 > GDB is free software and you are welcome to distribute copies of it
 >  under certain conditions; type "show copying" to see the conditions.
 > There is absolutely no warranty for GDB; type "show warranty" for details.
 > GDB 4.11 (i386-netbsd), Copyright 1993 Free Software Foundation, Inc...
 > (no debugging symbols found)...
 > panic: trap
 > #0  0x1 in ?? ()
 > (kgdb) bt
 > #0  0x1 in ?? ()
 > Cannot access memory at address 0x0.
 > (kgdb)

Gack, someone _really_ needs to fix the backtrace stuff so that it
works on the i386.  (I know it works on the sparc, since I just did
it today...)

Jukka, can you e-mail the output of:

	dmesg -N netbsd.0 -M netbsd.0.core

It should contain the printfs that were displayes just before the call
to panic().  They should help give a better clue about what's going
on.

 > What is going on?  I see these on two different i386 machines, both running
 > NetBSD 1.2.  I wonder if I should go back to 1.1 (which didn't crash this
 > way AFAIK)?

Strangely, I haven't seen such panics, but then again, I'm running
-current.  Let's see what we can find out about this problem, to get
it fixed.