Subject: Re: Help compiling i386 kernel pls.: Elf32_Ehdr
To: Gary D. Timuss <G.D.Timuss@uea.ac.uk>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@Plexus.COM>
List: current-users
Date: 11/01/1996 11:26:18
As the other points have been addressed, I'll throw in a couple cents
worth of thoughts on the following:

On Fri, 1 Nov 1996, Gary D. Timuss wrote:

> (b) If COMPAT_LINUX _requires_ (and logically implies) EXEC_ELF, why does
> one need to specify both?  And if "machine i386" _requires_ EXEC_AOUT and
> EXEC_SCRIPT, then these aren't "options" either.

COMPAT_LINUX probably shouldn't _require_ EXEC_ELF, but as a practical
matter you likely wouldn't want to use COMPAT_LINUX without it.  The same
applies for "machine i386" vs. EXEC_AOUT and EXEC_SCRIPT, as well.  In
other words:  they're only problems if you want to run any executables in
the respective format. :-)

Having said that, it sounds like a bug that you can't compile COMPAT_LINUX
with support for only a.out executables, and might be worth a PR if one
hasn't already been generated.

--scott