Subject: Re: Help compiling i386 kernel pls.: Elf32_Ehdr
To: Frank van der Linden <frank@fwi.uva.nl>
From: D. <G.D.Timuss@uea.ac.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 11/01/1996 12:18:20
> From frank@fwi.uva.nl Fri Nov  1 08:57:52 1996
> Subject: Re: Help compiling i386 kernel pls.: Elf32_Ehdr
>
> If you compile -current on the i386 , you need to have EXEC_AOUT and EXEC_SCRIPT
> by default in your config file. If you use COMPAT_LINUX, you'll also need
> EXEC_ELF.

Indeed, that did it.

#define GRIPE_MODE

(a) How did anyone _know_ this?  I didn't see anything on this list,
/doc/CHANGES doesn't say anything, and options(4) says nothing either.
I now see these are contained within the sample options files, but there
is no indication of their essentialness.

(b) If COMPAT_LINUX _requires_ (and logically implies) EXEC_ELF, why does
one need to specify both?  And if "machine i386" _requires_ EXEC_AOUT and
EXEC_SCRIPT, then these aren't "options" either.

#undef GRIPE_MODE

#define THANKS

Nobody (self included) can ever give enough thanks to (a) the NetBSD team
for making NetBSD available in the first place, and (b) the readers of this
list who can so quickly sort out problems like that I just had.

Thanks, all.

Gary

--
Gary.Timuss@Engr.UVic.CA