Subject: Is anyone else using a CTMS-3200 tape drive?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: John F. Woods <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/30/1996 19:29:13
I've asked this before, but maybe there are more people who've tried this.
I have a Conner CTMS-3200 tape drive, a QIC-3080 2GB tape drive with the
mini-QIC cartridges.  I naively plugged it into my NetBSD box (near 1.2 when
I did this) and happily wrote data to it, resulting in a tape which hangs
the tape drive when I try to read it.  I gather that the QIC-3080 format
has some kind of dedicated header track, and that I must have corrupted it
by writing random data to it (why that should cause the tape drive to lock
up rather than return an error would be beyond me if this drive weren't
designed for the PC-compatible marketplace).

Is anyone using one of these drives successfully, and if so, have you added
an entry to the st.c quirks table to make it work?  Is there something
specific you do to avoid corrupting tapes, or does it just work like a block
stream tape drive ought to work?

Thanks in advance,
John Woods, jfw@funhouse.com