Subject: Re: weird error
To: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
List: current-users
Date: 10/29/1996 23:04:03
>>Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 10:52:29 -0800
>>From: "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>

>>Occasionally, when a program tries to print error output, I get this
>>message:
>>	Message Catalog System: corrupt file

>It's either catopen() or catgets().  You probably have to rebuild and
>reinstall the message catalogs in /usr/share/nls.

There is no /usr/src/share/nls/, though.  Continued below...

>>I've rebuilt world several times, with no effect.  I've grepped
>>through the source tree looking for those strings, and can't find it.
>>I tried looking in /usr/src/share/nls/, but that dir doesn't exist.

>NLS source (code and data) lives in src/lib/libc/nls.  Do you have
>NONLS set in your environment?

I found it in there, but there is no makefile in src/lib/libc/nls/.
So, it isn't as simple as going into src/lib/libc/nls/ and doing a
clean make.  But, I did several "make worlds", including all the
libraries.  I don't, and didn't, have NONLS set.

As it turns out, the make worlds were probably doing the right thing.

Bernd's suggestion that my tcsh was simply out of date was correct.
Of course, being a shell, I have it statically linked, so it was still
using old internal copies of catopen, et al.  Building a brand new
copy makes it behave.

  Michael L. VanLoon                           michaelv@MindBender.serv.net