Subject: Re: performing actions based on tty lines, etc. in login(1)
To: None <rafal@scofflaw.coordinate.com>
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/28/1996 13:29:29
> From: Rafal Boni <rafal@scofflaw.coordinate.com>
> Date: Mon, 28 Oct 1996 11:20:30 -0500
>
> Folks:
> 	Once upon a time there was a lot of discussion of a implementing a
> 	system to allow login to "do something" depending on where and how
> 	the user was loggin in (a-la fbtab on the Suns)...
>
> 	Since I'd like to do something like this for my machine (well, I
> 	would actually like to disallow users coming in over the net from
> 	using plain-text passwords... But this is something that could be
> 	considered part of the puzzle...)...
>
> 	I'd like to know if (a) someone is working on it, (b) if nobody is
> 	working on it if there was ever a consensus among "those that matter"
> 	what the limits of said system should be (I recall people coming up
> 	with pretty elaborate proposals and others complaining about the
> 	level of complexity...), (c) if nobody is working on it if one of the
> 	people that put out proposals would like to talk about getting at least
> 	some amount of it implemented (yes, that's me volunteering if the need
> 	is there and if it will be considered for inclusion in the tree...).
>
> Thanks for your time.
> --rafal

(a) Yes, I've done some work on it.
(b) Yes, there appeared to be consensus.
(c) I have an archive of the discussions.

In accordance with previous discussions, I've created:
	src/lib/libutil/ttyaction.c
	src/lib/libutil/ttyaction.3
	src/share/man/man4/ttyaction.4
Still left to do is the integration into getty and login.
(I have to admit I just got sidetracked...)

Gordon