Subject: Re: arch on ftp.netbsd.org
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
List: current-users
Date: 10/26/1996 22:21:44
In message <199610262124.RAA04640@jekyll.piermont.com> "Perry
E. Metzger" writes:
: And remember, absolutely everything back to the dawn of history is in
: the CVS repository.

I've noticed on thing that weakens my confidence in that statement.
Many times in the past things have moved around, and sometimes the
commit message says something like "and thus and such file moved on
the CVS repository host to preserve edit history."  I've not paid
close enough attention to know if the commiters that have done this
have always done a cvs remove and a copy of the CVS file to preserve
history or just an mv.  While all of the files could be retrieved from
CVS, they might not all be in the right places and NetBSD 0.8 might
fail to build, for example.

This is a fairly minor reason to not cull old releases from the FTP
site.  In fact, it may be irrelevant, since the CVS tree isn't
generally available to the public at large....

If there is a keeper of the CVS tree, can he or she comment on this,
if that is deemed appropriate?

Warner