Subject: Re: Multiprocessor Yes/No?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Holo.Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: current-users
Date: 10/24/1996 07:00:33
> NetBSD does not in any way support multiple CPUs(*).  Period.

> (*) Of course, taken too literally, you could say that graphics
> co-processors, FPUs, and bus-mastering controller processors [...]

Um...I think NetBSD runs on some multi-CPU machines, it just doesn't
use more than one CPU.  Depending on the circumstances, this may or may
not count as supporting multiple CPUs - it does support such machines
in the sense that it boots and runs; it doesn't support them in that it
leaves the extra CPUs sitting idle.

At least, it runs on some multi-CPU architectures, like sun4m, in
single-CPU implementations, and I've heard people claim that it runs on
multi-CPU machines without using the additional CPUs, though I haven't
actually seen that last myself.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca
		     01 EE 31 F6 BB 0C 34 36  00 F3 7C 5A C1 A0 67 1D