Subject: Re: Two Copies of Libcrypt?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Holo.Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: current-users
Date: 10/22/1996 10:24:16
> Curt Sampson writes:
>> We appear to have two copies of libcrypt in the 1.2 source tree; one
>> under src/lib/libcrypt, and an older one under
>> src/domestic/lib/libcrypt.  What gives?

> One contains the exportable bits.  One contains the naughty bits.
> Being outside the U.S., I don't know that you are entitled to see the
> naughty bits.

Well, (a) Curt Sampson is in Canada, which is a special case, and (b)
even aside from that, there is nothing whatever wrong, per se, with
someone outside the USA seeing export-controlled code.  If the code's
history passes through the USA, it means that *someone* broke USA law
in getting it out of the USA, but once exported, no further USA law
infringement is involved in further redistribution outside the USA.

Or at least, such is my understanding of ITAR and related matters.  I'm
not a lawyer; I don't even play one on the net - I'm just someone who
has kept both eyes open when reading about such matters.

All pretty silly, IMO, since the people it's actually making life hard
for are the ones who aren't a problem to begin with.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca
		     01 EE 31 F6 BB 0C 34 36  00 F3 7C 5A C1 A0 67 1D