Subject: Re: Removing Empty Directories from a CVS Checkout
To: Curt Sampson <curt@portal.ca>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@kuma.web.net>
List: current-users
Date: 10/20/1996 19:42:02
[ On Sun, October 20, 1996 at 10:02:09 (-0700), Curt Sampson wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Removing Empty Directories from a CVS Checkout
>
> On Sun, 20 Oct 1996, Greg A. Woods wrote:
>
> > There's no option to 'cvs import' that'll remove files no longer present
> > in the new vendor release...
>
> This might be well worth adding. I spend more time on imports dealing
> with deleted files than anything else.

It could be done, but it's better done as a batch job in the manner I
described.  To do it in the single 'cvs import' run would entail also
scanning the repository directory for all files and checking that they
have been updated, else then marking them as deleted -- very messy and
probably another significant burden on performance and you'd need to
make it a non-default options since it's not always needed anyway.

I generally detest tools that try to be too smart and do too much extra
work in a black box.  It is usually much better to write clear and
succinct wrapper processes that use more elegant tools in a predictable
fashion.

I've written several "import" scripts that work as I described, and
though I don't used them too often (I find it just a easy to run the
three commands by hand in most cases) they work very well.  At least one
of those scripts was posted in current-users a while ago and should be
in the archives -- I've long since lost it though.

One thing my scripts have never dealt with (which is another reason I
usually take the manual approach) is the matter of locally added files.
This is mostly because it's a bit messy to automatically determine which
files are indeed locally added.  The best solution I've come up with to
date is to tag 1.1 with LOCAL_BASE or something similar but standardized.

This is necessary, of course, since locally added files will never have
any previous vendor tags on them.

I *will* probably put such features into a 'cvs import' interface in the
next major release of pcl-cvs.

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734			VE3TCP			robohack!woods
Planix, Inc. <woods@planix.com>; Secrets Of The Weird <woods@weird.com>