Subject: Re: Current kernel has routing problems?
To: Neil J. McRae <neil@domino.org>
From: Wiker, Raymond <etorwi@eto.ericsson.se>
List: current-users
Date: 10/18/1996 13:22:49
Neil J. McRae writes:
 > I can't see how you can do demand dialing without know the IP addresses,
 > otherwise everytime you do anykind of network traffic it would dial up.

	Would it be possible to set up pppd to do demand-dialling, but
with only partially specified IP addresses (i.e, something like
193.213.36.1/24:193.213.36.5/24)? I have tried something similar with
ppp, and I think I had more success with that (I don't have ppp on my
NetBSD machine, so I have to use other machines for experimenting with
ppp - that's why I'm a bit vague here.)

	I think it should be feasible to have a ppp setup that brings
up a ppp link if there is a routing failure - this assumes that the
ppp link would carry the default route. Possibly with a tunnel device
that starts up a ppp link if there is any traffic; the tunnel device
would have the default route when the ppp link was down, and the
default route would be moved to the ppp link later.

	//Raymond.