Subject: Re: Current kernel has routing problems?
To: Wiker, Raymond <etorwi@eto.ericsson.se>
From: Neil J. McRae <neil@domino.org>
List: current-users
Date: 10/18/1996 11:56:38
On Thu, 17 Oct 96 09:29:46 +0200
 "Wiker, Raymond" <etorwi@eto.ericsson.se> wrote:

> Curt Sampson writes:
>  > On Wed, 16 Oct 1996, Wiker, Raymond wrote:
>  >
>  > > 	BTW: Is there a way to set up pppd with demand-dialling and a
>  > > variable remote address?
>  >
>  > It can't be variable because the address must exist when you're not
>  > connected, so that you can have a route to it. When that route is used,
>  > pppd knows to bring the link up.
>  >
>  > However, this is a point-to-point line, so pppd shouldn't really
>  > care about the address of the other end. (It's not like it's got
>  > any other place to send the packets.) This is the case for the pppd
>  > in NetBSD 1.2, at least. So just set any address for the remote
>  > end. (I use the address of one of the three Portmasters I might
>  > connect to.)
>
> 	Hmf. I tried something like this before 1.2 (and I think also
> with the 1.2 sources for kernel and pppd). I couldn't get pppd to
> accept the combination of demand-dialling and an unknown local address
> - it set the local address to 0.0.0.0 and refused to accept the peer's
> value for the local address. I looked at the source, and the source
> required *both* the local and remote addresses to be set for demand
> dialling, and would not allow negotiation of addresses.

I can't see how you can do demand dialing without know the IP addresses,
otherwise everytime you do anykind of network traffic it would dial up.

Neil.
--
Neil J. McRae. Alive and Kicking.       Domino: In the glow of the night.
neil@DOMINO.ORG        NetBSD/sparc: 100% SpF (Solaris protection Factor)