Subject: Re: Two Copies of Libcrypt?
To: Chad Mynhier <mynhier@cs.utk.edu>
From: Theo de Raadt <deraadt@theos.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/10/1996 11:19:54
> 	Hmm, this raises an interesting question, if you're correct about
> the non-re-exportable issue.

Well, Curt is not correct.  (The phone book is a good place to start).

> Was all of the OpenBSD development of the
> ITAR-restricted software done in Canada, or was that software "exported"
> to Canada?

Well, the crypto software was not done in the USA.  ITAR is just some
US law, you see.  But we wanted to be cleaner. I travel through the
states sometimes, I don't want any risk.

> If that's the case, can OpenBSD legally export that software
> from Canada?

Absolutely.  Of course I made all the phone calls before starting on
this venture.  In the long term I want to see full crypto-endowed
IPv6/IPSEC.

One has to wonder why ITAR is in that form, towards Canada only;
realizing it doesn't just refer to crypto but to other goods as well,
like say, re-breating scuba gear and such.  And apparently there's
some company in central Canada that has done nerve gas research... I
wonder if that's true.