Subject: Re: new lkm stuff ?
To: Darren Reed <darrenr@arbld.unimelb.edu.au>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@awadi.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 10/08/1996 14:22:44
According to Darren Reed:

>However, I think SunOS5 takes it too far: it now depends on
>too many files being "correct" before you can get as far as
>single user mode.

You are not wrong there.  The scariest thing is that there is no
statically linked fsck.  In fact, there are a lot of critical binaries
that are dynamically linked (like, all of /usr/sbin from what I can
see).  I seriously doubt if you can get the system up in any real
shape without the dynamic libs which, IMHO, is a retrograde step.

>And of couse, the time when those files are at most risk of being corrupted
>is when you're adding/removing/developing LKM's.

Yeah and putting the pieces back together is ummmm challenging
speaking as one that has shifted my disk from a SS20 to a SS5 without
doing a reinstall.

  "Upgrading your memory gives you MORE RAM!" - ad in MacWAREHOUSE catalogue.