Subject: Re: Mac<->Unix file mirroring
To: Julian Bean <jules@mailbox.co.uk>
From: Richard Johnson <rjj@medialab.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/05/1996 16:02:49
At 17:48 9/30/96, Julian Bean wrote:
>Someone give me a good solution to this problem:
>
>I am working on a CVS controlled project.  This is project is hosted on a
>(Linux) machine called 'dragon'.
>
>I work on it on a (NetBSD) machine called 'elsie', which can compile the
>project happily.
>
>However, I want to actually do the file edits on my mac, as Symantec C++'s
>colour, structured code editor on my 16" system is preferable to vi on a
>black and white 12" screen.
>
>Am I missing an easy way to do this?

I've tried two fairly easy ways to set up transparent edit/save between
Macs and unix machines.  Both, however, are commercial (though almost
cheap).

You could use NFSShare on your Mac ($~100 commercial software from
Intercon, www.intercon.com) to let the Mac act as an NFS client.

Or you could use BBEdit ($~40 commercial software from Bare Bones,
www.barebones.com).  I haven't seen the latest Symantec IDE editor, but
BBEdit has always been a tolerable replacement for it.  BBEdit 4.0 does
provides color coding of C (and HTML) keywords, and has a built-in ftp
client for "save via ftp".  That ftp client doesn't (yet) support one time
passwords (s/key, opie), but if you have vanilla cleartext passwords it'll
work fine.

Richard