Subject: Re: new lkm stuff ?
To: der Mouse <mouse@Holo.Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Julian Bean <jules@mailbox.co.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 10/02/1996 23:38:14
At 2:09 pm -0400 2/10/96, der Mouse wrote:
>>> Wot ? Like StunOS has been doing for at least 6 years ?
>
>I've been using SunOS for at least six years and I've never seen
>anything of the sort.  In my experience, all the devices you want to
>use have to be configured at kernel build time - if you didn't
>explicitly configure a disk at target 4, that kernel will not accept a
>disk at target 4.  Nothing like "sd* at scsibus? target ? lun ?".
>
>The closest I've seen is that SunOS finds all configured devices at
>boot time, regardless of whether they're actually present.  If one
>isn't, and you then connect it and try to access it, it'll work.  But
>this is not at all the same thing as taking one and the same kernel and
>hooking up a disk at target 4, then next boot having a cdrom there, or
>a tape drive, and having it work.  (Or even picking it up at run time,
>with SCIOCREPROBE.)

Well, SunOS 5 (that which is distributed in Solaris) will auto-configure
new devices at reboot (if there is a file in the root called /reconfigure,
maybe, I can't remember)...

That's not strictly dynamic, though.  At least you don't have to rebuild
kernels (this feature was quite possibly implemented so Sun could justify
not distribute kernel-compiling kits).

Jules

|  Jelibean aka  | jules@mailbox.co.uk           |  6 Evelyn Road      |
|  Julian Bean   |                               |  TW9 2TF    *UK*    |
|  The 'net interprets censorship as damage, and routes around it.     |