Subject: Mac<->Unix file mirroring
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Julian Bean <jules@mailbox.co.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 10/01/1996 00:48:28
Someone give me a good solution to this problem:

I am working on a CVS controlled project.  This is project is hosted on a
(Linux) machine called 'dragon'.

I work on it on a (NetBSD) machine called 'elsie', which can compile the
project happily.

However, I want to actually do the file edits on my mac, as Symantec C++'s
colour, structured code editor on my 16" system is preferable to vi on a
black and white 12" screen.

So, I need to get the files from the mac to 'elsie' after every edit.
Initially, I was ftp'ing them up with Anarchie - but this was a pain, and
not automatic.

Then I tried actually editing them in situ using CAP.  This was painfully
slow, and caused frequent crashes of my mac.

I can't use MacCVS, although I have it, to go straight from the mac to
dragon, and back to elsie, as that would mean a commit in every single
edit-compile cycle - which is ridiculous.  And I can't seem to set up a CVS
server on 'elsie' in the same file space as it says to itself "hang on,
there's a CVS directory here, I'll use the info in that"...

I just tried ftp'ing the other way - with an FTPd running on the Mac.  This
does work, but it is hard to automate FTP which has user/password
control....

Am I missing an easy way to do this?

Jules

|  Jelibean aka  | jules@mailbox.co.uk           |  6 Evelyn Road      |
|  Julian Bean   |                               |  TW9 2TF    *UK*    |
|  The 'net interprets censorship as damage, and routes around it.     |