Subject: Re: sendmail and Return-Receipt-To:
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@kuma.web.net>
List: current-users
Date: 09/29/1996 17:20:13
[ On , September 29, 1996 at 14:06 (+0100), bad@flatlin.ka.sub.org wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: sendmail and Return-Receipt-To:
>
> However, it is replaced by DSNs which has the same problems.

Yes, I guess so.

The proper place to implement this functionality (at least in terms of
what most users seem to want), is in the MUA.  The common real world
example is registered mail, and only the MUA can come close enough to
emulating this behaviour.  All an MTA can say is that it deposited the
mail in a spool file associated with the delivery address.  At least the
MUA can claim to have presented the message on some form out output
stream to someone authorised to read the spool file associated with the
delivery address.

Unfortunately there's a lot more legacy MUA code out there (thus
presenting the same problem all over again).  I think this sort of
functionality needs to be dealt with in the same way PGP forces you to
deal with "secure" e-mail.  I.e. out-of-band communications is necessary
to ensure the person at the other end is using the appropriate software.

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734			VE3TCP			robohack!woods
Planix, Inc. <woods@planix.com>; Secrets Of The Weird <woods@weird.com>