Subject: Re: Another take on lkms and dynamic loading...
To: Curt Sampson <>
From: David Gilbert <>
List: current-users
Date: 09/22/1996 22:33:38
>>>>> "Curt" == Curt Sampson <> writes:

Curt> On Sun, 1 Sep 1996, David Gilbert wrote:
>> I havn't seen anyone suggest yet that many of these systems and
>> modules could be moved into user space.... reducing the security
>> hole while retaining the functionality.

Curt> How would this affect performance for our current modules? I
Curt> know that Windows NT benchmarks noticably slower than NetBSD on
Curt> various programs (such as web servers) because of the greater
Curt> number of protection mode switches due to having large chunks of
Curt> the kernel running as user processes.

	I believe that would depend on having the cheif designers of
the OS _not_ having a VMS frame of mind.  :).

|Mail:         |  equal if and only if they |
|               |   are precisely opposite.  |