Subject: Re: How do I efficiently update current?
To: Hisashi T Fujinaka <htodd@leech.q7.com>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
List: current-users
Date: 09/22/1996 10:14:48
>I spent 48 hours compiling current just to prove that I could. Although it
>was interesting, I wonder if there's any way I could speed it up. After
>sup'ing the new sources, can I just do a new 'make depend; make' and hope
>that it only compiles the new stuff or is that too dangerous?

Buy a faster computer?  Your SE/30 is running about the same speed as
an old 386 I used to use.

It takes me about 6-7 hours on an AMD 133MHz 486 (5x86) with 24MB.  It
takes me about 3 hours on a Pentium 120MHz with 32MB.  Both systems
are also entirely SCSI.

If you've already done a make depend once, you shouldn't need to do it
again, unless the headers are drastically altered.

Also, the first time you build it processes all the man pages.  After
that, it only re-processes a man page if it changes.  This will also
save you some time.

  Michael L. VanLoon                           michaelv@MindBender.serv.net