Subject: Re: How do I efficiently update current?
To: Hisashi T Fujinaka <htodd@leech.q7.com>
From: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
List: current-users
Date: 09/22/1996 09:07:26
In message <Pine.NEB.3.95.960921230018.375A-100000@localhost> Hisashi T Fujinaka writes:
: I spent 48 hours compiling current just to prove that I could. Although it
: was interesting, I wonder if there's any way I could speed it up. After
: sup'ing the new sources, can I just do a new 'make depend; make' and hope
: that it only compiles the new stuff or is that too dangerous?

If you do make depend && make all, then it should work unless one of
the following has changed since your release:
	1) the compiler
	2) the build system
	3) the libraries have changed and programs rely on the new
	   APIs in the libraries (recall that libraries aren't
	   installed right away)
You may also want to use install -C rather than just plain install
when doing this too.  Some of these are easy.  The build system is
generally a cd /usr/src/usr.bin/make && make && make install followed
by cd /usr/src/share/mk && make install.  There is a make lib that
will make and install the libraries and a make most which will make
everything except the library.

Generally, make world will get you from an arbitrary point A to now.
There are times when this is needlessly expensive (it builds libc and
gcc twice, for example).  However, if you are doing a make world in
response to a 20 line output from sup or CTM, then that is almost
always overkill.

Warner