Subject: Re: How do I efficiently update current?
To: Hisashi T Fujinaka <htodd@leech.q7.com>
From: Julian Bean <jules@mailbox.co.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 09/22/1996 13:10:42
At 11:03 pm 21/9/96, Hisashi T Fujinaka wrote:
>I spent 48 hours compiling current just to prove that I could. Although it
>was interesting, I wonder if there's any way I could speed it up. After
>sup'ing the new sources, can I just do a new 'make depend; make' and hope
>that it only compiles the new stuff or is that too dangerous?

Personally I don't even re-run make depend - after all the whole point of
make depend is that it makes it reasonably safe to run incremental makes.
Every now and then something is going to happen which just an incremental
make isn't good enough for - but personally I take that risk, and just do a
complete make clean;make depend;make;make install when the urge takes me.
(Every month or two)

Jules

|  Jelibean aka  | jules@mailbox.co.uk           |  6 Evelyn Road      |
|  Julian Bean   |                               |  TW9 2TF    *UK*    |
|  The 'net interprets censorship as damage, and routes around it.     |