Subject: Re: sprintf -> snprintf
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/21/1996 22:46:33
At 10:05 PM 9/20/96 -0700, Jason Thorpe wrote:
>On Sat, 21 Sep 1996 14:54:47 +1000
> George Michaelson <ggm@connect.com.au> wrote:
>
> > I don't have sources to hand. Is it even remotely plausible
> > to make removing sprintf and replacing with snprintf a goal?
>
>sounds marvelous...

Actually, I thought about this a while back. I noticed that OpenBSD and
FreeBSD both have some neat stuff that would be nice to have in NetBSD. We
also need
user support programs like adduser/moduser/deluser, something like SMIT,
etc etc etc. I'd work on it, but......

> > How about for nominated subsets of the code?
>
>At the very least, all the setuid/setgid programs.
>
> > Seems to me like making buffer overrun attacks non-viable
> > would prevent a lot of angst later on...
>
>....do we have a volunteer?  :-)

Hey, I'd do it but my Amiga died about 170 days ago (ruptime is nice),
and I haven't been able to get it fixed/replaced yet. It'd cost at the
least around $500 to get it running again. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, No. Plan B.

I do have some options. I had a A3000, with 12mb of SCRAM ZIPs, and
a a4091 drive card. I'm going to sell this off to get funds to get
another machine working.

I have a DECstation 2100 with keyboard, monitor, and 16mb of RAM.
I have 3 MicroVAX-II machines, in various pieces. I almost have an
entire machine here, I need a drive, or a SCSI card. I have a color
card, and a mono card. The VAX 3100 port is coming along, I may consider
one of those. Does the DECstation 2100 use the same ram as the VAXstation
3100?

Where do you get a Q22 bus SCSI card, anyway? Cost?

I have a Sun 3/60, and a 3/260, the 260 can have up to 32 mb of RAM
(whenever my roommate gets me the card he owes me). The 260 also has
sc scsi.

I also have an Amiga 2000, 68000, 2090a, 3mb of 16-bit RAM. I have a
networking card from the a3000. Getting this machine working would probably
be the most expensive plan.

Opinions on what would be the best machine to get working, please. I
don't think I can get more than one machine working (funding, sigh).
Which is faster, the dec2100 or the mv-2? How do these two compare to
a 20-25mhz 68020 box?

Can any DEC machine (dec2100, mv-2, vax3100) handle a 14.4 modem?
I believe the 3/60 can, but I am cautious about this one, because of
that bug that they are having trouble with. The 3/260 costs about
$50 a month to run 24/7, and makes a lot of noise and heat, so I don't
really want to use that one for this purpose.

I do have a 3/60 running for support purposes. I have a newer CVS on it,
along with other goodies. I'm also currently downloading the 4.1.1_U1
patches as I write this (they are currently sitting ftp'able at
osl.csc.ncsu.edu in the incoming directory, grab them quick!).

What should I do? Help me out here, please, so I can get back to working
on NetBSD (I miss it). Thanks a bunch, guys!

I'm going to go make some Mac and Cheese.......
--
XCOMM Kevin P. Neal, Sophomore, Comp. Sci. \   kpneal@pobox.com
XCOMM  "Corrected!" -- Old Amiga tips file  \  kpneal@eos.ncsu.edu