Subject: Re: NetBSD master CVS tree commits
To: Christos Zoulas <christos@deshaw.com>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@ux2.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 09/21/1996 13:03:58
> >If this is to fix ffs_subr.c, then fix ffs_subr.c to not include
> >systm.h if !_KERNEL.
>
> This is exactly the reason. If I do what you suggest, then I'll need to
> put somewhere a prototype for panic...  Or ifdef the code so that it
> does not use panic, but uses some other function. If I use that other
> function, then I need to bring somehow its prototype into scope.

I would say that that's what you should do, then.

Having to add a header to include if !_KERNEL is better than including
kernel headers incorrectly, and therefore prototyping and defining a
bunch of stuff that doesn't exist.  Historically, systm.h was never
supposed to be included in software compiled for user-land.  I don't
think that should change.

On some compilers (not ones that we use as a group, but ones that i've
used in the last 2 weeks), saying 'extern foo;' all by itself
generates a reference to foo...

chris