Subject: Re: `sun' and sparc/sun3's (was: Re: Diaspora, politics, and MI)
To: Grey Wolf <greywolf@siva.captech.com>
From: Curt Sampson <curt@portal.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 09/20/1996 14:33:44
On Fri, 20 Sep 1996, Grey Wolf wrote:

> Are you telling me that
>
> 	int unix = 0;
>
> and
> 	#define unix
>
> have the same effect?

No, what he's saying is that if we have `#define unix 1' predefined
(as we do now), someone who tries to compile the perfectly legal
statement `int unix = 0;' will actually be trying to compile `int
1 = 0;', which will not go over terribly well.

I think it's a good idea to move forward towards full ANSI compliance
here, but on the other hand I can understand the concerns of those
who are worried about how badly this breaks things. Has someone
gone and actually done this on a system and compiled up the usual
lot of software to see how painful this change really is?

cjs

Curt Sampson    curt@portal.ca		Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.