Subject: RE: Diaspora, politics, and MI
To: John Maier <johnam@datastorm.com>
From: Curt Sampson <curt@portal.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 09/20/1996 09:36:47
On Fri, 20 Sep 1996, John Maier wrote:

> Now may I ask, when a project or a fix get finished, why
> doesn't bounce buffers get worked on instead of just pushed
> off?  It would soothe the souls of many people.

Perhaps because of time and interest? If NetBSD were a commercial
project, there would be a manager who could say, `Customers demand
bounce buffers. All right programmers, start working on them' and
then the paid full-time staff would jump to it and have something
in a few weeks. When you've got a volunteer project, on the other
hand, you wait until a volunteer who wants to do the job shows up.

Also, there's nothing that says a member of the core team has to
do this work. The function of the core team per se is to make
architectural decisions, review code, and commit code. The fact
that there happen to be a lot of programmers on the core team who
are actually *writing* a lot of that code is an aside; they could
be doing the same coding if they were not members of the core team.

cjs

Curt Sampson    curt@portal.ca		Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.