Subject: Re: tangent: bounce buffers.
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Holo.Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: current-users
Date: 09/20/1996 07:47:50
>> _ANY_ ISA devices you have on an Alpha which use DMA _must_ be
>> "bounce-buffered" to work _at all_.  You'll note that the Alpha port
>> currently does not support floppy or sound drivers.  That is why.
> *SMACK*  "And he was enlightened..."

:-)

>> I've explained this in detail several times before, when justifying
>> the need for real MI bounce buffers.
> Yes, you have, but I still hadn't seen anything which justified not
> implementing an interim MD-version, until you mentioned the floopy
> driver above.  [...]  Lack of a floppy driver will prove problematic
> if you're trying to stand-boot an Alpha and you can't use the floppy!
> so that seems reasonable.

Well, I still don't see that as a reason the i386 port can't do an
Intel-specific version.  It won't help the Alpha, of course, but the
Alpha will be no worse off then than it is now.

Except to the extent that the good is the enemy of the best, of course,
which I gather is the major problem with Intel-specific bounce buffers.

> A few more boots to the head and I should be _juuuuuust_ fine. :-)

So when are you gonna start signing your email "Ed Gruberman"? :-)

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca
		     01 EE 31 F6 BB 0C 34 36  00 F3 7C 5A C1 A0 67 1D