Subject: Re: Diaspora, politics, and MI
To: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@panix.com>
From: Theo de Raadt <deraadt@theos.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/19/1996 21:19:04
> >In message <7365.843153830@ux2.sp.cs.cmu.edu>, Chris G Demetriou writes:
> >>Despite the thoughts of a few people, flaming the NetBSD developers is
> >>not the way to encourage their cooperation or get your source code
> >>into the tree.
> >
> >Heh.  That's probably a good way to get it into OpenBSD, though.
>
> Let me get this straight:  You're suggesting that one criteria used for adding
> code to the OpenBSD tree is whether or not its author is willing to flame the
> NetBSD developers?

Well, whenever someone gets really upset because something hasn't been
integrated into NetBSD we -- the OpenBSD developers -- are smart
enough to note this as a sign that

	Hey! People really want ATAPI! People really want PCMCIA!
	People really want DDB LKM's! People really want NPX support
	that works! People want perl! They also want Plug&Play, or
	serial IO that doesn't drop their characters!

And so, THEN WE MERGE IT AND FIX IT!

Like, ever try X on a 16MB machine when you've got 48MB sitting on the
shelf because you can't afford a non-1542 controller?  Look, at that
rate these people might as well install Windows 95.

When someone actually gets off their feet and flames the NetBSD core,
it's a darn good indication that they just might have a point.  Ever
consider that?  Isn't it just maybe remotely possible that people
want to USE THEIR COMPUTERS AND PERIPHERALS?

> Even if that's true, I can't believe you'd say so in public.

Some things have to be said.  Here, other places, what does it
matter, they have to be said.