Subject: Re: Problems booting off of built kernel
To: Chad Mynhier <mynhier@cs.utk.edu>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 09/19/1996 16:48:39
>       Has anyone else out there had this problem?  I'm running 1.2 (beta)
> on a Sparc 5.  I'm running off of whatever was current a month ago.  I've
> tried a couple of times to build a new kernel, but each time I've gotten
> "le0: lost carrier" error messages when booting off of the new kernel.  I
> tried this with source I obtained a month ago and source I got today.

The sparcstation-5 has both 10base-T and aui ports. Autodetect of
which was "live" was broken about two months ago. Aaron fixed it since
then.  I'd suggest you sup newer sources, or a newer binary snapshot,
and try a new kernel.  Or, change from whichever port you're using
to the "other" one.

Or try toggling link0, link1, and link2 flags with ifconfig.

(ss1s, 2s, ipcs, and ipxes only have a single MAU, so this can't
 happen there.)

--Jonathan