Subject: sup vs. CVS vs. ???
To: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
From: Curt Sampson <curt@portal.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 09/19/1996 12:45:05
On Thu, 19 Sep 1996, Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com wrote:

> >...the best way to do this, typically, is to sup, and import that into your
> >own CVS repository.  A group where I work is currently doing this,
> >maintaining *significant* local changes to the networking code.
>
> Could you give me a bit more detail on how you implement this.

I should think that doing this in the most basic way is dead easy.

	cd /supped/src
	cvs import src netbsd current-19960919

This will build your repository. Now you can check out a copy of it,
build, patch, commit, whatever:

	cd /work
	cvs co src
	cd src
	vi stuff
	make stuff
	cvs commit

The next day some changes you need to integrate with your version have
been supped over, so:

	cd /supped/src
	cvs import src netbsd current-19960919

If there are conflicts at this point, you can do the checkout that cvs
will suggest to you and fix them up. Otherwise, you can just update your
current sources:

	cd /work/src
	cvs update

And continue on your merry way.

Now I've not actually tested all of this in any through way. :-)
But this is the general idea.

This approach does have certain problems, though, depending on the
purpose you're putting your repository to. I follow NetBSD for
educational reasons, and I'd really like to be able to see the
commit comments and diff various versions, so I can study bugfixes
and enhancements. This can be done by supping the repository itsef.
(Currently you can do this with FreeBSD, but not with NetBSD or
OpenBSD.) But that doesn't help you if you want to use the same
repository for keeping track of your local changes as well. In this
instance you might have to sup the repository, update a checked-out
tree from that, and then import from that checked-out tree into
another repository that contains your local changes.

By now you've probably figured out that what you really need is a
whole lot of disk space. :-)

cjs

Curt Sampson    curt@portal.ca		Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.