Subject: Re: print configuration utility?
To: Ron Roskens <roskens@cs.umn.edu>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/19/1996 08:25:45
Ron Roskens wrote:

> The current auto-configurable kernels seem to store all device
> information in a queue. If you iterate over this queue, you know
> all the devices configured on the system. With a little programming
> you could come up with a "print configuration" command.
>
> Comments?

This might be _very_ useful for installation.  It would make figuring
out what installation devices are available much easier!  No need to
sort through dmesg output looking for drives.  If the command had the
ability to return only a specific set of devices (based on an argument)
that might also be very useful.  You would be able to ask for all devices
of type 'disk', or 'net', or 'cdrom', all from a shell script!  Of course
it would be useful for the script I posted too.

-Andrew