Subject: Re: tangent: bounce buffers.
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Holo.Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: current-users
Date: 09/19/1996 07:06:22
> I think Scott has access to NetBSD CVS access.  Hence, when he uses
> 	cvs update
> to update his source tree at home, cvs does not delete and mangle
> local patches he has applied to his source tree -- in fact it tries
> to be really nice about merging diffs.

> However, Jukka only has "sup" access to NetBSD source.  So whenever
> he runs
> 	sup supfile
> to fetch new sources, sup may mangle and delete the *critical* bounce
> buffer patches he has in his source tree.

> This is one of the primary reasons why OpenBSD distributes sources
> using the "anoncvs" service instead of sup.  The ability to easily
> retain local diffs is oh-so-tasty.

Gee, that's funny, I have no trouble "easily retain[ing] local diffs".
And I update my source tree with sup.

Perhaps it's just that I never, ever, write to the supped source tree
with anything but sup - I make a copy of it before applying patches or
attempting builds.  Never considered doing otherwise.

					der Mouse

		     01 EE 31 F6 BB 0C 34 36  00 F3 7C 5A C1 A0 67 1D