Subject: Re: tangent: bounce buffers.
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Holo.Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: current-users
Date: 09/19/1996 07:06:22
> I think Scott has access to NetBSD CVS access.  Hence, when he uses
> 	cvs update
> to update his source tree at home, cvs does not delete and mangle
> local patches he has applied to his source tree -- in fact it tries
> to be really nice about merging diffs.

> However, Jukka only has "sup" access to NetBSD source.  So whenever
> he runs
> 	sup supfile
> to fetch new sources, sup may mangle and delete the *critical* bounce
> buffer patches he has in his source tree.

> This is one of the primary reasons why OpenBSD distributes sources
> using the "anoncvs" service instead of sup.  The ability to easily
> retain local diffs is oh-so-tasty.

Gee, that's funny, I have no trouble "easily retain[ing] local diffs".
And I update my source tree with sup.

Perhaps it's just that I never, ever, write to the supped source tree
with anything but sup - I make a copy of it before applying patches or
attempting builds.  Never considered doing otherwise.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca
		     01 EE 31 F6 BB 0C 34 36  00 F3 7C 5A C1 A0 67 1D