Subject: Re: Diaspora, politics, and MI
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Theo de Raadt <deraadt@theos.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/18/1996 16:49:32
> On Wed, 18 Sep 1996 16:39:12 -0600
>  Theo de Raadt <deraadt@theos.com> wrote:
>
>  > That's funny... Per has the same bounce buffer interface working on a
>  > Deskstation Tyne MIPS-R4600 machine with a 128KB sram bounce buffer
>  > for the ISA/VLB slots ...
>
> That doesn't mean it's MI ... it means that the ARC machine is similar
> enough that it can be made to work.

Uhm, no -- read again:

	On the Tyne, *ALL* ISA dma needs to be bounced.

All buffers, before the card is told about them, go through an
interface that determines how they need to be bounced. Be that "not
bounced" or "copy into bounce buffer" or "set mmu up specially" or
"setup dma mmu specially".

When the requests are done, the same thing happens in the reverse
order.

And, since we have bounce buffer support, people can use your
machines.  Since you don't, they'll bitch about it.  And next week,
about ATAPI or bad serial IO.