Subject: Re: Diaspora, politics, and MI
To: None <spberry@iastate.edu>
From: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
List: current-users
Date: 09/18/1996 17:41:14
: Perhaps I'm way out of line.  If I am, tell me why.  But don't tell me that
: the things that are turning away potential i386 users couldn't be fixed for
: want of politics and personal preferences.

In addition to Linux, two other free BSD 4.4 lite derivites have
bounce buffers on the intel port.  At least one of the BSD derivitives
has had them since before its code was based on 4.4 lite.  There is no
technical reason they can't be implemented, but there may be other
issues.

I happen to run one of the other BSDs on my intel boxes because I have
32M in my ISA machine.  I'm porting another one of them to my MIPS PC
that has a similar problem (32M and only ISA cards).

As to the politics of why this or that is or isn't there, I'll not
comment on them.  I just try to run something that will work or can be
made to work on the hardware I have.

Warner