Subject: Re: Diaspora, politics, and MI
To: Scott Reynolds <scottr@plexus.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: current-users
Date: 09/18/1996 13:18:47
On Wed, 18 Sep 1996 12:52:12 -0500 (CDT)
 Scott Reynolds <scottr@Plexus.COM> wrote:

 > > Would someone please explain to me whether everyone shares the attitude
 > > that if it's not MI, it should not be implemented whatsoever?
 >
 > Not everyone shares this attitude.  I suspect very few people even have
 > it, but due to the limitations of the communications medium, I can see why
 > you would have that impression.

I certainly don't have this attitude.  I implement machine-dependent
things all the time... I do, however, have a problem with making
machine-dependent changes to files which are (or are supposed to be)
machine-independent.

The problems with the bounce-buffer stuff that everyone is currently
talking about are:

	- They are currently _very_ i386-specific.

	- They make it much harder to convert the drivers that need them
	  to a machine-independent DMA mapping system. [*]

[*] A machine-independent DMA mapping system really _is_ what is
required; before each DMA transfer, the buffer will be mapped into
DMA-able space (on the alpha, this means finding the physical page
containing the buffer, and programming some DMA mapping registers and
tranlating the host memory address to the memory range as seen by the ISA
bus ... on the i386, it means allocating a bounce-buffer in memory that
the ISA can see), the DMA controller on the card told which address to
DMA too (returned by the DMA mapping function), the DMA will happen, and
the buffer will be un-mapped (on the alpha, undoing the programming you
did before, on the i386, bcopy()ing the bounce-buffer's contents to the
buffer the caller provided).  (Yeesh!  What a long sentence! :-)

Anyhow, the point is that this is going to reqire some drivers to be
restructured a bit ... restructuring them in the _opposite_ direction
now would make that much harder to fix them later.

 -- save the ancient forests - http://www.bayarea.net/~thorpej/forest/ --