Subject: Re: exceeded mb_map sensibility?
To: None <ilixi@tezcat.net>
From: Neil J. McRae <neil@domino.org>
List: current-users
Date: 09/18/1996 19:41:34
On Tue, 17 Sep 1996 23:55:54 -0500 (CDT)
 "C. Ewen MacMillan" <ilixi@tezcat.net> wrote:

>  Obviously,  we have experienced a commensurate increase
>  in network traffic. Unfortunately, increasing NMBCLUSTERS does
>  not do what one might think it would - it seems to panic the machine
>  (completely wiping the dmesg buffer for some reason!). I have tried
>  both 768 and 1024 as values, and the problem is decidedly worse
>  at 1024. Due to the lack of a 1.1 oriented compatibilty interface for
>  if_name/if_unit, I cannot even use SNMP it seems to generate a trap
>  at the time the problem occurs. Since this is a production machine, I
>  cannot leave it set to drop to the debugger either, though my intuition
>  tells me whatever kills it, kills it HARD.

The kernel below is:

NetBSD defender.router.EASYNET.NET 1.2_BETA NetBSD 1.2_BETA (ROUTER) #2: Sat Jul 13 03:25:14 BST 1996     neil@defender.router.easynet.co.uk:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/ROUTER i386

The machine has been "up" since I put it into production, it acts as one of
several backcone core routers running gated.

Name  Mtu   Network     Address              Ipkts Ierrs    Opkts Oerrs  Coll
de0   1500  <Link>      0.0.c0.43.ab.bf   -1987416644  1339 -2000410433   800 674007780

 7:42PM  up 65 days,  7:04, 2 users, load averages: 0.08, 0.08, 0.08

I also up NKPDE to 31. In /sys/arch/i386/include/pmap.h

# ROUTER
machine         i386            # architecture, used by config; REQUIRED
options         I586_CPU
options         NKMEMCLUSTERS=8192
options         NMBCLUSTERS=6144
options         DUMMY_NOPS      # speed hack; recommended
options         MACHINE_NONCONTIG

maxusers        32              # estimated number of users
options         TIMEZONE=0      # time zone to adjust RTC time by
options         DST=0           # daylight savings time used by RTC

options         SWAPPAGER       # paging; REQUIRED
options         VNODEPAGER      # mmap() of files
options         DEVPAGER        # mmap() of devices

options         "KMEMSIZE=\(16*1024*1024\)"
options         "DFLDSIZ=\(32*1024*1024\)"
options         "DFLSSIZ=\(4*1024*1024\)"

options         DIAGNOSTIC      # internal consistency checks
options         KTRACE          # system call tracing, a la ktrace(1)

options         SYSVMSG         # System V-like message queues
options         SYSVSEM         # System V-like semaphores
options         SYSVSHM         # System V-like memory sharing
#options        SHMMAXPGS=1024  # 1024 pages is the default

options         COMPAT_09       # NetBSD 0.9,
options         COMPAT_10       # NetBSD 1.0,
options         COMPAT_11       # NetBSD 1.1,
options         COMPAT_43       # and 4.3BSD

options         USER_LDT        # user-settable LDT; used by WINE
options         LKM             # loadable kernel modules

options         FFS             # UFS
options         MFS             # memory file system

options         NFSCLIENT

options         FDESC           # /dev/fd
options         FIFO            # FIFOs; RECOMMENDED
options         KERNFS          # /kern

options         GATEWAY         # packet forwarding
options         INET            # IP + ICMP + TCP + UDP

config          netbsd  swap generic
options         GENERIC

mainbus0 at root

isa0    at mainbus0
pci0    at mainbus0 bus ?

ppb*    at pci? dev ? function ?        # PCI-PCI bridges
pci*    at ppb? bus ?

npx0    at isa? port 0xf0 irq 13        # math coprocessor

pc0     at isa? port 0x60 irq 1         # generic PC console device

com0    at isa? port 0x3f8 irq 4        # standard PC serial ports
com1    at isa? port 0x2f8 irq 3

lpt0    at isa? port 0x378 irq 7        # standard PC parallel ports

fdc0    at isa? port 0x3f0 irq 6 drq 2  # standard PC floppy controllers
fd*     at fdc? drive ?

wdc0    at isa? port 0x1f0 irq 14       # ST506, ESDI, and IDE controllers
wdc1    at isa? port 0x170 irq ?
wd*     at wdc? drive ?

de*     at pci? dev ? function ?                # DC21X4X-based ethernet cards
ep*     at pci? dev ? function ?                # 3C590 ethernet cards
fpa*    at pci? dev ? function ?                # DEC DEFPA FDDI cards

pseudo-device   loop    1               # network loopback
pseudo-device   bpfilter 8              # packet filter

pseudo-device   pty     64              # pseudo-terminals
pseudo-device   vnd     4               # paging to files

Regards,
Neil.
--
Neil J. McRae. Alive and Kicking.       Domino: In the glow of the night.
neil@DOMINO.ORG        NetBSD/sparc: 100% SpF (Solaris protection Factor)