Subject: RE: tangent: bounce buffers.
To: 'current-users' <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: John Maier <JohnAM@datastorm.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/17/1996 09:05:00
Similar problem here, I work at a company where UNIX is treated
as the proverbial "red headed stepchild" (no offense intended).

We produce communication products for MS-windows and I provide
test environments for testing via UNIX.  I use NetBSD for real
work and I must say that is embarrassing to have to admit that
this awesome OS can't support more than 16Megs because of a SCSI card!

Let's face it, in this day and time, a workstation running X on
16 Megs is poorly suited to do much more.  We have had a bad
quarter and stocks have been hell, much the same as everyone else,
and I doubt I'll be able to get a new $160 SCSI card for a
UNIX machine.

I have 32 Megs in my NetBSD machine and find it very frustrating
that I have to hack machdep.c to limit NetBSD's access to the 1st
16 Megs.  What more, I am fortunate that I know C and the NetBSD
code well enough to make it work, buy limiting it, where there
are lots of users that couldn't hack a hello world program.

I have been rather desperate and have been trying to get one of
unofficial bounce buffer patches for 1.1 to work for me, unfortunately
as luck would have it, the 1542CF and my configuration don't work
together.  So I am doomed to wait yet another release, in hopes of
an official bounce buffer.

A few classic saying come to mind...

Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it.
A good OS is useless if it's not usable.

nuff said.