Subject: Re: tangent: bounce buffers.
To: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@ux2.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
List: current-users
Date: 09/16/1996 20:28:46
>> It's like saying "you can't have a new car unless you buy one for me,
>> too".

>Nobody said you _can't_ have them unless they're machine independent,
>but i've repeatedly said that _I_ don't want machine-dependent
>"solutions" that break existing code on the Alpha to make the i386
>work better, or which make it significantly harder to make
>machine-independent solutions possible.

First, I agree with you.

>Would you like me to come up with an implementation that works on the
>Alpha, and throw it in, and blow off the i386?  no?  well, i'd like
>the same courtesy in return.

It's been blown off for about five years, now...  I don't see how the
machine non-dependence of the non-fix has helped. ;-)

In all fairness, this particular "fix" would probably be mostly used
by college students living on a mac-and-cheese diet, with an old 386sx
and a 1542 they picked up used, somewhere.  That is, if they haven't
already committed to FreeBSD or Linux.

I don't agree with port-specific hacks.  But this one practically
screams for a band-aid.

  Michael L. VanLoon                           michaelv@MindBender.serv.net