Subject: IPC/multi-thread
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Julian Bean <>
List: current-users
Date: 09/16/1996 20:14:12
Am I correct in thinking that NetBSD does not currently come distributed
with a multi-threading implementation?

I am currently fork()ing a process to watch two sockets - it is acting as a
forwarder (A <--> B <--> C, such that A and C think they are directly
connected).  It would be useful if both fork()'ed subprocs could send some
data back to the main process - obviously in a multi-threaded environment
this is no problem, as they have the same address space.  Since this is
apparently not the case, am I best using the shm*() calls.

Portability is an issue for me - I want this program to compile on most if
not all standard unices, and I am not sure how widely used the shm*() calls
are.  But I'd rather them than a pipe between my processes, if possible.

Is there a portable multi-threading architecture?  Is their one that can be
linked in to my executable so it doesn't have to be installed on all users
machines?  And.... does it work on NetBSD?

|  Jelibean aka  |           |  6 Evelyn Road      |
|  Julian Bean   |                               |  TW9 2TF    *UK*    |
|  The 'net interprets censorship as damage, and routes around it.     |