Subject: Re: BUFFERCACHE, PR 1903
To: Sean Doran <smd@cesium.clock.org>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 09/15/1996 10:32:35
> It would be interesting to know which processes were
> swapped in and out during these multi-second pauses.

Difficult to tell when the system is not responding to anything but ping. ;)

But _what_ is the system really _doing_ - it accesses the swap disk only
_once_ every second (roughly) and for a short period of time.  Most of the
time the disk sits completely idle.  This is what happens on my systems,
at least.  If the system was swapping like crazy, I would think the disk
LED would be constantly on and the drive would seek a lot.  This is not
what happens.

Could it be that the system is scanning its page lists or something and
only swapping a page every now and then?  If it just swapped out 1 MB,
it would only take a fraction of a second.. or one second at most,
probably.

  -jm

--

                     ---> http://www.jmp.fi/~jmarin/ <---